Budget Tweet-fest #2 YorkCC and ScarbCC
* Now coming to you live from the York Civic Centre. It's Night Two of Michael Del Grande's Douche-a-thon '11. (a tweet from goldsbie)
* Thirty-eight people on the list to speak. Who will be berated? Who will be merely ignored? Let's find out!
* Sonny Yeung reminds Mayor Ford, that he didn't run on a tax freeze, "half the rate of inflation would address ur cuts." ScarbCC 150 Borough Drive, Toronto
* Jordan Froese:Sooner or later we need to pay taxes for services ScarbCC
* Arts Eto.:"When you give kids a paint brush, they can't hold a gun. When you give kids a dance beat, they're not doing the gangsta shuffle."
* Scarb. budget mtg. NYAD childcare prez says we need to take care of each other. Can't freeze taxes and have (Janet Davis tweet)
* Barbara Hurd of Housing Action Now is speaking ScarbCC
* (Looks like a LOT of Councillors at ScarbCC mtg): Debaeremaker, Crawford, Parker, Mylczyn, Moeser, Carroll, Kelly, Cho, Mayor Ford, Fletcher, Ainslie, diGiorgio, Vaughan ... This room is about to explode, so many people.
* Neethan Shan speaks to shelter Motel alternative. No support ScarbCC
* Wow. 76,000 folks on waiting list for affordable housing: Neethan Shan
* Back in YorkCC? - The ED of the Terry Tan Child Centre explains that kids often get on the wait list as infants and then "time out" before they obtain a spot.
* TOBI recommends for 2012: "Residents' opportunity to question staff on Budgets (Toronto Open Budget Initiative, Karen Sun) I totally agree! (at ScarbCC) CCNC ED and Food Forward advisor @karensun recommends more open & engaging budget process, before budget release
* New Chair, Doug Ford, "Boss is gone. Let's have fun." ScarbCC
* Elderly woman explains how rising property values are driving up her taxes. Perks gets her to agree the LTT helps relieve property taxes. (at YorkCC I think).
* Deputant asks, "Finally, what is going on with the Kodak lands?" I wonder if he would accept Extermination Music Night as an answer? (Yorkcc)
* Colle explains that he learned from Perks that he can make statements by phrasing questions in a "Would you not agree...?" form. YorkCC
* Asked if the demise of Transit City disappoints him, a deputant says, "I've been disappointed in the past. I've been married for 20 years."
* AGO youth council want $25 per capita for the arts. This youth lives in Scarborough.
* Del Grande scolds a deputant for possibly libeling staff: "I don't want to go to court, & I'm sure you don't want to go to court, either."
* Amazing deputation Tyler! (PT Youth Coordinator) #PrideTO
* Susan Gapka Now @ York Civic Centre #TOBudget Consultation. I'm only one here in Pink Suit
* Effie: FMTA has increased caseload. Can't absorb tenant advocacy demand (Federation of Metro Tenants)
* O'Reilly says the library with the crossbow murder had its children's librarian cut; there was no one to evacuate children from 2nd floor. YorkCC
* Now it's the guy who got into the fight w/ Fletcher. I want to shout at him, too. His attitude is "Why didn't you think of THIS, fuckheads?" YorkCC
* Del Grande asks him, "Are you still the councillor's baby?" It takes everyone a moment to get the joke.
* Former TDSB trustee Scott Harrison deputing at Scarborough #TObudget hearings re: protecting hockey rinks
* Before informing deputants that their time is up, Del Grande lets the alarm clock keep beeping in the hope that the speaker gets the point.
* I like this deputant. He opens by chewing out the mayor for drinking bottled water. Then goes on to advocate for property tax increase.
* Holyday tries to out him as a member of a City union. Except he's not. Deputant then asks Holyday if he was ever a union member.
* Ford Supporter asking if we ever have any kind of Audit.
* Adam Vaughn responds to #TOBudget deputant's contention that less waste needed "like e-health." Problem was outside consultants, no?: Vaughn
* Deputant draws gasps - and insults about half the room - at Scarborough #TOBudget hearings when complains about services for "homosexuals." Asian lady went way over time
* Deputant: "Cut funding to the pride parade because we don't want to encourage those homosexuals
* Economic conspiracy theorist: "Miller said he would forward my letter on to his councillors. I DON'T THINK HE DID."
* Winnie Ng reminds #TOBudget hearings equity must be more important than a balanced budget or else cuts hit vulnerable disproportionately.
* York duputant rants about Bank of Canada & Goldman Sacs. Clearly Out of Order yet Chair let's continue till time expires
* Sharon Younger told us 3 yrs ago to spend money on BedBugs. True! God help me, I was there.TOBudget Shelley Carroll
* Applause from audience at #TOBudget deputant calls for Bed Bug strategy and added funds. Asked same 3 years ago (and) Lady just said that bedbugs may lead to suicide
* Councillor Michael Thompson is here (YorkCC)
* Vaughan and Davis are using their questions only to jab the budget. That's sorta gross
* Oh god, the smelly looking guy who shows up to all the #TOcouncil meetings is here handing stuff out
* Procedure Question: Should #TOBudget Chair listen to Out of Order deputations (Not #TOBudget related) or direct deputant to stay on topic?
* Doug Holyday is lost in his examination of the old city council portraits lining the walls. I am reminded of the final shot of The Shining. (it is 9:12pm right now)
* Unlike Ford and Del Grande, Berardinetti and Lee seem genuinely interested in this lumber dealer's deputuation on Transit City.
* 1st question for ACORN deputant from Cnllor Ford: "Are you affiliated with the Amer. ACORN?" Davis follows w/ ? on defence fund
* Councillor Ford concludes with suggestion to ACORN to change their name. "You guys are doing a great job."
* John Kiru of TABIA thinks BIAs should get a chunk of the Billboard Tax, because, he believes, most billboards are located within BIAs.
* There are always a few deputants who earnestly believe councillors will react, "My GOD! That idea is genius! Why did we never think of it??"
* Gripping deputation from woman recently thrust into poverty by a layoff. Libraries, community centres, and community groups have saved her.
* Woodgreen Comm Services Vice Chair adds to Bedbug plea
* Retiree Jack says you can see the effects of the cut of the Vehicle Tax in all these deputations from people pleading for their services.
* Man asks Budget Committee members: "Will you keep the promise not to cut services over the next four years? .... Your silence is deafening."
* WoodGreen, my WoodGreen, taking a turn at the #TOBudget bat: Bed bugs, Community grants, User fees. Swing! Lots of good questions. Hit!
* Silvena Toronto Community Housing Tenant Representative @ York
* List of community grants per ward was prepared & circulated to Councillors: @shelleycarroll to #TOBudget. Response: Wards vary. Acct'y there (Now about 10pm)
* Meanwhile Mike Layton just posted his ward19 budget consultation for Jan27 at Ossington-Dundas
* Cllr Ford "there are no outdoor rinks in Scarborough? I'm shocked!" Meanwhile outside..People are skating.
* Our Board member was asked if she was a union head by one Councillor. Umm, no, she's not "Are you a member or have you ever been a member..." Sound familiar?
- This from the Globe: "Mayor Rob Ford’s campaign debt after the election was a whopping $800,000 and he's rasied conly $400,000 so far" News Story
* Pre-pubescent roller derby Jr League member gets turn at #TOBudget, explains she's a little groggy. It's late. Bus cuts "big, big trouble" She's 12!
* Great cross section of Scarborough area deputing on proposed City of Toronto budget (Cnclr Ainslie)
* There is a maybe 12 or 13 deputing for the toronto junior roller derby league. This is the cutest thing ever
* Cutest accidental threat from the 12 yo derby girl: there will be "big big trouble" & girls doing "upsetting things"
* Now about 10:30pm ...
* "We don't need less transit; we need more," @waleedkhogali has talked to commuters. Warns people will be furious if cuts happen
* People who can will take the car if buses cuts. Transit standard is 500 metres. Few on bus ok if loop into 'hood. Hits 3000/night
* Vaughn: "It's impossible to tax & spend like Buffalo without ending up looking like Buffalo."
* Peter Milczyn - Interesting dep recommending driverless trains on Scarb RT and eliminating subway ticket booth collectors for savings rather than bus cuts
* Scarborough #TOBudget deputations wrapping up. First procedural motions to receive & report.
* Sarah Doucette - It took four hours for 49 residents to address the Budget Sub-Committee at York Civic Centre this evening.
* Topics included No user fees at priority community centres, need more funds for welcome package, put more money..
* The deps became stronger as the evening progressed. The cumulative effect was stirring. And Del Grande turned in a satisfactory performance
* .Oh if @cllrainslie would of offered me a ride back home, I am on my 63 min ride home using 38/116 and walking. I take #ttc unlike him.
* Josh Colle - Passionate group of deputants at the York Civic Centre tonight. Toronto's most vulnerable citizens top of mind
* forgot to mention the last deputant claimed to be TOs bodybuilding champion of champions, went on about being evicted
Scarborough CC Meeting (Shelley Carroll's photo, Jordan Froese speaks)
Thursday, January 20, 2011
Night 2 of Public Consultations
Posted by Ken Wood, Ward 18 Davenport at 6:45 PM
Labels: budget, democracy, MikedelGrande